As I have worked on Helpdesk and Customer Support for quite a long time I would like to share my insight in this matter. I also quite often have to ask for support at my work reg. to different software, which we use.
First of all – you must understand what customer expects from you, what are his requirements. Fast communication is cruicial – it shows your respect towards the customer and that his case is important to you. Even short sentence: „I am working on your case and will come back to you” makes huge difference. Very important is also keeping given word and not lying to your customer. Obviously politeness is required and some kind of empathy. It is cruicial to be patient and don’t show bad feelings towards your customer – sometimes it is very hard, but it is worth doing.
In some business it is very important that answer is received fast, as problems need to be solved fast – like in my domain, when even slight latency can cause delays in flights. Sometimes it is even advisable to ask customer how urgent is his case.
And the most important: solve your customers problems!!! If you don’t know the solution – propose workaround and give customer choice what he should decide! It makes that customer feels decisive.
Learn to say : „I am sorry”…like it is described here: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2007/02/19/seven-steps-to-remarkable-customer-service/
This little word makes huge difference – belive me. I tried it several times with my customers and both sides were satisfied with that. It makes that situation becomes „win-win” as described here: https://www.mindtools.com/CommSkll/NegotiationSkills.htm
Here is the list of features, which should be implemented to assure better servicedesk:
- Perform Customer Satisfaction Surveys on a Regular Basis
- Implement a Web-Based Knowledge Base Tool for Customers as well as for your staff
- Implement Service Request Automation Processes in your Help Desk Software
- Use the Help Desk Software System to Increase Communications With Agents and Customers
- Implement a Customer Self-Help Portal Accessible 24 hours/day
- Use Real-Time Help Desk Reports, Dashboards, Metrics and Analytics
- Use Real-time Reporting Features that Decrease Time Required to Prepare Reports
- Implement an Asset Management System that is integrated with the Help Desk Software system
- Implement an ITIL Change Management Software System and ITIL processes. Integrate the Change Management System with the Help Desk Software System.
And as the last word – how customer support shouldn’t look like ;))))
1 myśl na “IT Helpdesk – how to do it properly”
Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to know a
lot approximately this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
I feel that you just can do with a few % to
drive the message house a little bit, but instead of that, that is great blog.
An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.