For time critical systems it is recommended to proactively monitor them in real-time. If you use Omnitracker for more than 100 users I would recommend to ensure this system working smoothly.
Here are some metrics, which should be checked as recommended by Omninet:
- Service availability (of all OMNITRACKER services for every instance)
- Availability of relevant Windows services (IIS, SQL)
- OMNITRACKER Web Gateway (Availability and Performance)
- Availability and performance of OMNITRACKER databases
- OMNITRACKER login performance (incl. Web-Gateway login check)
- OMNITRACKER write performance (incl. Web-Gateway write check)
- OMNITRACKER service processor utilization
- OMNITRACKER service memory utilization
- Server total processor utilization
- Server total memory utilization
- Network interface utilization
- Available disk space
How can it be achieved?
- there are many different ways – using Prometheus, Dynatrace oraz just simple set of Powershellscripts
- My approach is based on usage of Nagios as the main monitoring engine with following Windows plugin:
- NSCA++ https://www.nsclient.org/
Nagios uses its own check_nrpe plugin, which repeatedly send requests to NSCA++ client.
Here’s brief description on how to set up NSCA++ with Nagios :